• AveryBackground02.jpg
  • AveryBackground03.jpg
  • AveryBackground04.jpg
facebook
Events
twitter
 
This little township at the foot of Grandfather Mountain takes its name from the Linville River, which was named for William and John Linville who were killed by Indians about 13 miles south where the waters plunge into the deepest gorge in eastern America.

Linville was developed as a summer resort where families could escape the heat and mosquitoes that characterize summers in the south. The Yonahlossee Road (Cherokee for "trail of the bear") was built in 1885 to connect Linville to Blowing Rock and a stagecoach line was started to bring vacationers to the Eseeola Lodge (Cherokee for "river of cliffs"). The chestnut bark-covered Eseeola Lodge continues to provide turn-of-the-century elegance and gourmet cuisine with a style unchanged in 100 years.

What may have been the first golf course in North Carolina was laid out in Linville in 1895. Today, the Linville Golf Club has an 18-hole championship course (designed by Donald Ross in 1924) that consistently ranks among the best courses in the Carolinas.

In the late 19th Century, year-round residents of Linville worked at the resort in summer and farmed or collected medicinal plants in the off season. "Wildcrafters" could take the ginseng and golden seal they collected to Mr. Hampton's general store and he would pay them with wooden coins that they could then use to buy things from his store. The store is still in operation on Ruffin Street today.

It was Henry Bacon who was first inspired to use Chestnut bark to fashion Linville's signature siding. Bacon (who would later earn his place in history as the architect of the Lincoln Memorial) first visited Linville in the summer of 1895 to remodel a farmhouse for one of his childhood friends. In successive summers he returned to build three private residences and All Saints Episcopal Church.

The use of site-available materials in building continued long after Bacon returned to New York City, and the use of Chestnut-bark siding continued until blight destroyed the Great American Chestnut in the 1930s. The charm and elegance of the site-appropriate materials and how they blend into the mountain scenery has insured their continued use.

With a year-round population under 1,000, the residents of three major golf resorts (Linville Golf Club, Grandfather Golf and Country Club, and Linville Ridge Country Club) swell the town's population each summer.

The 92,000-square-foot Charles A. Cannon Memorial Hospital opened in Linville in 1999 and provides hospital primary care and physician specialty services for all of Avery County. The Grandchildren's Mountain Rotary Playground pictured here is located in front of the Hospital was designed by world-famous Leathers and Co.